Monday 9 July 2012

Extra Credits

Greetings, I am Sir Thomas. Not Saint Thomas. Not Lord Thomas. And certainly not Lord British, that is a completely different person entirely. I will repeat my moniker until you manage to repeat it.

I am here today to tell you about certain people. I am talking to you about them because I had literally nothing else to talk about. These are the people I turn to when I want to think of something new, perhaps something innovative, perhaps something I've known for a long time, but never looked at from a particular angle. I was racking my brains to think of something, anything, to present you with. In my hubris I turned to these people for inspiration, something to think about. I decided, the moment the page had loaded, to instead tell our dear readership about them instead.



These people are James Portnow (in Blue), Daniel Floyd (in Green) and Allison Theus (in Pink), or, as I shall hence on call them, "Extra Credits". They are a mostly gaming show that examines the industry, the structure, the jobs, the market, the laws, the best moments that have ever happened and the darkest shadows that have crept across their medium. These people, these talented, intelligent people, have made me feel as if I am the future of a new art form, an unexplored horizon... and then a few episodes later, can make me consider myself a base beast of ignorance and spite, and question my choices in life. They do not shy away from the hard questions, or the ugly and difficult truths.

Make no mistake, they are not all about gritty realism and the issue of gender politics in games. They spread humour in their videos, through art, word play, and just... to me... the atmosphere. There are very few places on the internet I go to learn and laugh. This is one of them. I suggest you watch it. If not for the fact that you're learning from people directly involved with a developing industry, but for the fact they are always on top of the latest and most vital news. A PIPA and SOPA episode? Certainly. Crowdfunding and Kickstarter? Of course. They even recently had a Politician guest starring to discuss how the public can effect Government, because their fans sent in so many letters displaying their feelings of powerlessness when PIPA and SOPA were introduced. They go above and beyond the cause.

To me, although I blush to admit it, these people are something to aspire to.I know it might sound strange, but someone who does a day's honest work, comes home and develops an internet show with their friends, just to better inform and educate the masses... there is something noble in that. An honesty to them, if you will. Perhaps I am aggrandising them too much, I am rather a fanatic of theirs, but I'll give you an example of what they do.

A while ago, Allison, the artist, had an issue with her arm. I'm not certain what it was directly, I am no doctor, but I believe recalling that it was an issue with the tendons. This would make drawing, her profession, incredibly difficult for her, and she would require an operation to fix the issue. This operation, since she is in America, would have to be paid for out of her own pocket. She did not have the money.
The people at Extra Credits turned to their fans. They made it clear, it was a charitable donation, they asked you only give what you can to help Allison. The result was... incredible.
Fans gave money so quickly that they reached the desired amount in a few hours. Then they kept giving. Extra Credits had inspired so many people that the final amount received staggered all previous expectations. And now, they had an issue.
Allison had her operation, a smashing success, with guest artists coming in in droves to take her place and support Extra Credits while she recovered. But by the end they had a lot of money extra. Ask yourself what you would do in that situation. Refund it? Impossible. Give it away? It rather defeats WHY these people gave the charitable donations to you, doesn't it? How about giving it back in a different way?
These people, these wonderful people, came up with a plan. They would take small time developers, indie companies surviving off of scraps, and they would nourish them. They would support games with these funds. And what is more, the fine people at Extra Credits are aware of all the traps and foils of the Game industry. They knew when people were being abused, or tricked, by crafty Publishers. They lined these problems out in front of the audience, and they killed them all, promising that they would be a fair Producer, and all money made by this venture, would fall straight back into the fund to Produce bigger and better games.

I do not believe I have to tell you anything more. These people are honest. If I was to describe them in one word, it would be Honest. Yet, this is my own opinion. My own beliefs of them. You should watch. You should observe, and either deem me mad, or praise their excellence. I ask for none myself. It is their work. I merely pointed it in your direction.

Good day, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. And y'know, the credit and opening music ain't half bad either.
    I joke. These people inspire me, as a Games Design student. They warn me of many follies, and teach me of ways around issues.
    I respect them greatly.
    Also James nearly made me cry in one of the addiction episodes. So there's that.
    Even if he does otherwise sound and look like he OOZES pretentiousness.
    But yeah, I like these people.

    ReplyDelete