Thursday 19 July 2012

I Enjoy Partaking in Terrible Movies

Greetings, Sir Thomas here again. Though on the weekends I am Geoffrey Dahmer, owner of a roadside cafe. Please use my more common moniker.

I find that I enjoy the occasional bad movie. And when I mean bad movies, I mean good movies, movies that enjoy self parody, are not afraid to crank up the silliness, the gore or the absurdity. I have found solace, in the recent months, from such amazing titles as "Hobo with a Shotgun" and "Ironsky". Firstly, a tale of a vigilante homeless man killing paedophiles, rapists, murders and thieves on the streets of the worst city imaginable, using only a shotgun and a friendly hooker. I believe it is based somewhere in New Jersey. It's like the latest Batman feature, if he was poor. And used a shotgun. And was homeless. And Catwoman was a prostitute. So not much of a stretch.

While Ironsky is based on the moon, partly, with an attack from moon Nazis looming, one used-to-be-black-fashion-model (no relation to Michael Jackson) has to somehow convince the hot Nazi woman that Hitler wasn't all he cracked up to be. With a threat of iPhone powered lazer death beams from space, he has to act fast before the American president (who is so close to Sarah Palin that I bet they use the same hunting rifle) can hand over all the power of America to the charismatic Nazi forces.

Well, as you can see, I enjoy the occasional partaking in B-grade, low quality good concept movies. Even though sometimes they have good quality, and amazing concepts, the spirit stays the same. So I am very, VERY glad to announce that one of the best B-movies out there, Starship Troopers, is getting a sequel.


Why am I so glad about this? Specially since the Starship Troopers movie already has at least TWO sequels, neither of which really made an impression on the B-movie industry? Well, just... LOOK at it. It's a Halo movie practically. With the original cast (yes, that includes Neil Patrick Harris) returning for this animated slaughter-fest, this new sequel is looking impressively put together. And the dialogue is perfectly serious, with JUST enough cheese added to it to make it seem like a real B-movie. Of course, you can say that it's relying a little too much on big explosions and scenes, and you lose some of the original charm with the lack of staying close to a bunch of live action people being ripped to shreds by the giant insects... But this gives me a little hope for the Starship Troopers label at least.

If you have any B-movies you suggest I watch, or even terrible ones, then please do suggest it in the comments. I will say now, I have watched "The Room". All of you who know what this is, you know my pain. All of you who don't know what this is... perhaps drop a comment to show your interest in this subject.

Good day, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment